Metal Clay Fire-in-Place Stone Setting: Let’s Get Organic!
Time to go organic with metal clay!
Join metal clay master artist, Julia Rai, and learn how to make a variety of metal clay settings for fire-in-place stones. These settings can be kept in the dry stage for use whenever you need a little bit of sparkle added to something. You’ll learn to make settings using syringe clay, metal clay tubes and discs, leaf and flower-shaped settings and much more.
Julia will start with the basics of stone setting in metal clay, how to use the shrinkage during firing to your advantage and how to ensure your stone stays put. She’ll show you how to create asymmetric, organic forms into settings for stones of all shapes and sizes, giving you a whole range of new ideas. These are especially useful if you like to produce three-dimensional work that isn’t neat and uniform. Like things to be organic and unique? This class is for you!
This class will fire up your imagination and give you tons of techniques for setting stones to set your work apart. Plus, Julia has a BONUS video where you will learn how to make her fabulous spiral earrings.
Kiln firing set-up is also covered.
Included in your purchase is a PDF with notes, and online resources plus the class video to watch as many times as you like.
No experience necessary.
Please note: the PDF is not a stand-alone instructional booklet.
- Stone setting basics
- Using a syringe to set stones
- Forming your own tubes
- Adapting tubes for different shaped stones
- Alternatives to traditional prong settings
- Creating bespoke forms for drying metal clay
- Creating your own templates for designs
- Adding bails and bail making
- Using a clay tube extruder
- Adding unique textures using paste and syringe
- Earrings – 10g metal clay
- Swing bail pendant – 15g metal clay
- Tree branch pendant – 15-20g metal clay
- Syringe clay with a variety of nozzles
- Metal clay paste
- Fire-in-place cubic zirconia stones, range of sizes and shapes
- Embeddable eyelets
- Sterling silver ear wires
- Basic metal clay tool kit
Included with the video download, a PDF filled with notes and all the resources you need to get started.
The full recording and a PDF handout of resources and links is included.
You can re-watch all your CRAFTCAST purchases as many times as you like.