Learn to Solder and Make Chains with Kate Richbourg
Learn how the simple wire loop becomes something special with a little imagination and elbow grease.
In this soldering class, Instructor Kate Richbourg shows how to create stunning chain (along with rings and components like headpins and ear wires) featuring the humble soldered loop.
Techniques include twisting and forging wire, soldering, using hand and power tools for filing and finishing techniques, as well as hammering and texturing metal, unlocking the mystery of the rolling mill and much more.
This lively class will hone your metal skills and result in lovely pieces of jewelry.
You can re-watch all your CRAFTCAST purchases
as many times as you like.
- tools and safety solder basics
- making friends with the torch
- correct metal preparation
- chain construction
- pickling how-to
- finishing tips and techniques
- Xuron Flush Cutter
- Wubbers Round Pliers Xtra Large or Large Wrap and Tap pliers or a mandrel 15 -18 mm in diameter
- Wire Twister or Power Drillv
- Chain Nose pliers
- Bent Chain Nose pliers
- Jeweler’s File
- Chasing Hammer
- Bench Block
- Soldering surface
- Solder Pick
- Quench Cup
- Soldering Tweezers
- Copper Solder Pastev
- Safety Glassesv
- Protective Table Coverv
- Liver of Sulfur or oxidizing solution of choicev
- Approximately 20 feet of 16-gauge wire (sample uses copper)
- Approximately 5 feet of 24-gauge wire
- One 16” 8-10mm strand of Freshwater Pearls or other beads of choice
A PDF filled with photos,notes and all the online resources you need to get started.
The full recording and a PDF handout of resources and links is included.
You can re-watch all your CRAFTCAST purchases as many times as you like.