Learn to Make this Spectacular Ring in Metal Clay with Barbara Becker Simon
Ms. Simon has created a spectacular new metal clay ring she is calling, The UFO Ring! It’s definitely out of this world.
It combines a substantial LENTIL BEAD with a brilliant cut CZ, adding PEARLS and some of Barbara’s amazing TEXTURES and FINISHES.
All of this set on on PMCPro shank. Woo Hoo!
Watch as Barbara walks you through step-by-step exactly what you need to know to create your own fabulous ring! .
Barbara Becker Simon has been a jeweler for over thirty-five years and a lampwork/bead artist since 1996. She received a Master of Fine Arts Degree in metalwork and jewelry from the University of Wisconsin. Recently, she has traveled the country as a Senior Instructor for the Rio Rewards Precious Metal Clay Certification Classes. 2004 saw her in Japan teaching PMC workshops in the land of its origin. In 2001, her necklace, "Winter", earned the Grand Prize "Millennial Metal, The Art of Precious Metal Clay," held at the Brookfield Craft Center, Brookfield CT. Her work appears in CeCe Wire's book, Creative Metal Clay Jewelry: Techniques, Projects, Inspiration. Barbara's own book, Metal Clay Beads, has been met with high praise as an incredibly informative book for all levels of metal clay fans.
- How to size your ring shank to fit
- Setting a brilliant cut CZ
- Combining different Metal Clays
- How-To make a "seamless" seam
- Learn to create small cups to hold pearl embellishments
- Plus, tips and tricks for texturing and finishing
- Work surface
- Rolling pin
- Craft knife
- Dehydrator or convection oven
- Kiln shelf
- Stainless steel container with lid
- Activated carbon
- Steel ring mandrel
- Padded pliers
- Large plastic Easter egg
- Large hemisphere mold
- Circular template or compass
- Sheet of 220 wet/dry emery paper
- V-shape carving tool
- Small, semi-stif paint brush
- Drill bits, one #65, and one #38
- Snake or worm roller (optional)
- Dapping punch or similar ball-end tool about 6mm
- Plastic wrap
- circular cookie cutter about 10mm diameter
- Emery board
- Chain nose pliers
- Wire nippers
- Silver darkener or liver of sulphur
- Fine steel wool, 0000
Included is a class handout with notes and all the resource information you need to get started.