Learn the Art of Calderesque Wire Jewelry with Brenda Schweder
Brenda Schweder is back, this time to show you how to make your own sensational one-of-a-kind wearable art piece in the spirit of Alexander Calder. Learn to work with this inexpensive steel wire and start creating your own spectacular pieces.
Known for his direct simplicity and humble use of tools and materials, Calder’s interest was in one-of-a-kind wearable art pieces as well as non-wearable art sculptures.
This class offers a detailed review of the pieces Schweder highlights in her book PLUS, step-by-step instructions of two brand new bonus works inspired by Calder!
Brenda shares all her tips and tricks so you can get going with your own designs. You'll learn the how-to behind working easily with this inexpensive material and start creating your own one-of-a-kind creations.
This is a CraftCast Vintage Video, created before it was possible to incorporate High Definition video, as we do today. How far we have come in such a short time!
Watch and listen as Brenda reveals to you all the tips and techniques you need to know to start creating in the spirit of Alexander Calder using inexpensive steel wire. Using close-up photographs of each step of the process, plus Brenda's detailed instruction, you’ll be creating using these techniques in no time!
Class was recorded live so, just like in more recent videos, you’ll hear the live Q&A with other students.
You can re-watch all your CRAFTCAST purchases
as many times as you like.
- Introduction of Calder, the man, and the latest print compilation of his work, Calder Jewelry, Calder’s tools, materials, and motif choices
- A detailed how-to of Schweder’s Calderesque pieces as seen in Steel Wire Jewelry
- Learn to capture your own treasures and create a one of a kind piece.
- Steel Wire tools, tips, tricks, and sources
- Brenda's quick solution to making your own original belt.
- Step-by-step walk-through of the creation of two BRAND NEW Calderesque pieces inspired by Calder Jewelry and the artist’s process
- 16 gauge steel wire
- 16 gauge brass wire
- Heavy duty cutters
- Chain nose or ﬂat nose pliers
- Round nose pliers
- Bench block or mini anvil
- Utility or ball peen hammer
- Center punch
- Flex shaft with 1/16” hard metal or titanium drill bit
- Wire brush or steel wool (Fine, 00)
- Renaissance wax and rag
Included with your video is a full-color PDF class handout with teacher's tips, notes and links to all the resources you need to get started.
Please note: this is not a stand-alone guide but simply a quick-reference for your convenience.
The full recording and a PDF handout of resources and links is included.
You can re-watch all your CRAFTCAST purchases as many times as you like.