Creating Journal Flag Books
I love book arts and am thrilled to have renowned author and book arts teacher, Ms. Diana Trout, teach us how to create her Journal Flag Book and learn this fascinating craft.
U.S. book artist and Conservator, Hedi Kyle, invented the book art form; Ms. Trout has added her unique spin on it.
The flag book is a unique book structure that challenges the definition of "book.” It opens with a whoosh that delights and surprises, with pages that open both left and right simultaneously. Diana shows us how she creates this bit of paper magic with all the tips you need to know for a perfect book result.
Ms. Trout reveals how she makes her colored paste paper and creates the unique paper surfaces we have all come to LOVE!
You will also learn how to use additional paper craft techniques and photos to personalize your journal or to create an abstract book.
Plus: learn the techniques Diana uses to create a hard cover for the book as well as incorporate an accordion spine to complete your book project.
No experience necessary.
You can re-watch all your CRAFTCAST purchases
as many times as you like.
- Paper Choices
- Understanding folded layouts
- Making colored paste and application
- Folding an accordion spine
- Construction and assembly
- Variety of techniques for collaging
- Creating book covers
- 2 pieces cardboard for covers (or binders board) 8” x 4.5"
- Methyl cellulose paste
- Deli containers for paste (3)
- PVA glue
- Double stick tape
- Acrylic paints
- Papers for paste paint: card stock and lightweight papers
- Glue stick
- Pens, pencils
- Ink pads (as desired)
- 3 Brushes 3" or 4"
- Any other art supplies you enjoy
- Texturizing tools for paste paper
- Craft punches
- Bits of ephemera
Included in your purchase is a PDF with links to tools, supplies and online resources.