Creating with Aluminum: Cutting, Etching & Colouring
Join me Alison Lee, and senior PMC teacher from down under, Maggie Bergman, and learn this fantastic new method for etching and coloring aluminum.
Maggie will reveal what you need to know to work with this extremely affordable material and how to etch and colour beautiful designs safely and easily.
“Etching Aluminum is the safest etching method I know of. Very easily done at home, and uses easily found materials with stunning results.”
Maggie will show close-up first how to etch, then cut, and then how to add COLOR that pops as well as other possible applications for this technique.
You will be creating some show stopping jewelry pieces in no time.
A sense of fun and a willingness to play is the only pre-requisite for this class! I know you’ll be excited by the possibilities of this technique and the gorgeous things you can create!
FREE with class purchase:
- Design Files
- Patterned Bangle Paper Template
The full recording and a PDF handout of resources and links is included.
No experience necessary.
Included with purchase is an additional BONUS video on creating an aluminum cuff plus design files to use with the Silhouette™ Cutter.
You can re-watch all your CRAFTCAST purchases as many times as you like.
- How to mix the solution for etching aluminum
- Which are the best resists
- Etching the metal and how to judge when it’s ready
- Treatment of the plate after etching is complete
- Cutting the plate into jewellery pieces
- Applying luscious colour and how to protect it
- Finishing touches to make the final piece shine
- Book Covering Contact or Sillhouette brand vinyl
- Low-tack Masking film
- Nail Buffer (Miracle Shiner) these are used for acrylic nails, available from any chemist
- Designs printed to actual size
- 3 L Jug or Container for Bulk Solution
- Smaller containers for etching
- Colour Pencils
- Fine round watercolour brush
- Odorless Turpentine
- Optional: Plastic Stickers
- Saw-frame & blades
- Sanding sticks: 400 - 800 - 1200 - 2000
BONUS Also included:
- Silhouette Design Files
- Creating a Patterned Bangle
Included in your purchase is the FULL recording of the entire LIVE class, plus a PDF with photos, notes and online resources.
Please note: the PDF is not a stand-alone instructional booklet.