Champlevé Enameling on Metal Clay
We are thrilled to have master enamelist, Pam East, teach her popular enameling class here at CRAFTCAST!
Watch and learn Pam East’s techniques for Champlevé Enameling on metal clay! You’ll love learning these classic techniques to add rich vibrant color to your metal clay pieces.
First, learn how to correctly prepare metals and enamels. Then discover the secrets of achieving stunning clarity and depth with enamels. Create delicate shading and finish to a smooth mirror shine. Assemble your finished piece to create a gorgeous pendant.
Pam will be using, in her demonstration, a deep etched metal clay piece created with the Curio™ cutter.
(A Curio cutter is not required!)
If you want to expand your Curio™ cutter abilities, learn with Silhouette™ software expert, Cindy Pope, how to use your Curio™ cutter to create, from a single piece of metal clay, a chambered piece ready for transparent Cloisonné enamels. Click here for Cindy's class details!
All techniques shown in Pam’s video can be used on traditional metal clay pieces as well as metal clay fabricated with the Curio™.
You will love learning all the tips and techniques you need to get started with this classic ancient art.
- Working with reactive enamel colors
- Achieving warm colors with leaded enamels
- Making a chain weight for that perfect pendant placement
Don’t miss this special presentation!!
Included in your purchase is a PDF with photos, notes and online resources plus a class video to watch as many times as you like.
No experience necessary.
Please note: the PDF is not a stand-alone instructional booklet.
- Preparing your kiln for enameling
- Dapping metal clay post fire
- Prepping metal for enameling
- Cleaning and prepping enamels
- Counter enameling
- Improving enamel clarity
- Proper firing of enamels
- Graduated shading with enamels
- Champlevé finishing & polishing
- Assembling finished pendant
- Art Clay Silver™
- Dapping block & hammer
- Green scrubber (scotch bright)
- PreNamel™ metal prep
- Distilled water
- Fiberglass brush
- Super Sunsheen Burnishing Compound
- Steel wire brush
- Thompson Lead-free Enamels (color list will follow later)
- Round paint bruses, Sizes #4, 2, 0, 5/0
- Inlay tool scribe
- Inlay tool spatula
- ClearNamel™ wetting agent
- Enameling Trivet
- Enameling spatula
- Hard kiln shelf
- Kiln wash
- 2” brush
- Diamond hand sanding pad 200 grit, 400 grit
- Tropical shine nail sticks (pink and blue)
- Micromesh sanding pads
- Wenol metal polish
- Soft buffing cloth
- Sterling chain, jump rings, clasp
- Jewelry pliers
Working with reactive enamel colors
Included with the video download, a PDF filled with photos, notes and all the resources you need to get started.
The full recording and a PDF handout of resources and links is included.
You can re-watch all your CRAFTCAST purchases as many times as you like.