Metal Clay Stacked Champlevé Enameling
Join me, Alison Lee, and master enamelist Pam East LIVE ONLINE Wednesday, March 20th at 7:00 pm ET, and learn the art of Champlevé enameling.
Included in your purchase is a PDF with photos, notes and online resources, PLUS the class video to watch as many times as you like.
Champlevé enameling is the art of applying rich colored enamels to impressions in metal. Traditionally, these impressions would be created through hand engraving, acid etching or pierce and solder techniques. Metal clay offers the unique ability to easily create impressions in metal without needing years of study and practice. Anyone can do it!
In this class you will create a gorgeous metal clay piece for enameling through a simple stacking technique. After the metal clay is constructed and fired, you will learn how to achieve beautiful clarity and shading with transparent enamels.
Textures will be clearly visible through the enamel. Firing and finishing will also be covered.
And don’t forget, Pam will take questions from attendees!
Don’t miss this special presentation!!
No experience necessary.
Please note: the PDF is not a stand-alone instructional booklet.
- Correctly rolling out clay for enameling
- Using templates and textures to create enameling areas
- Metal clay Stacking techniques to avoid bubbles
- Metal clay greenware finishing
- Firing metal clay for enameling
- Prepping metal for enameling
- Cleaning and prepping enamels
- Counter enameling
- Improving enamel clarity
- Proper firing of enamels
- Graduated shading with enamels
- Champlevé finishing & polishing
Metal Clay Tools and Supplies
- Front Loading Kiln
- Fiber kiln shelf & Fiber blanket
- DISTILLED Water
- Tumbler w/stainless steel mixed shot and burnishing solution
- Dehydrator or other method of drying clay quickly
- Release agent (Hattie’s No Stick, Badger balm, Olive Oil, etc.)
- QuikArt FlexMat 56708 Rugosa Rose
- QuikArt Template 56737 Champlevé Set (three templates in set)
- 50g – 100g Art Clay Silver™
- 5g Art Cay Silver™ Syringe.
- 10g Art Clay Silver™ Paste (reconstituted paste made from dust is fine)
- Fine Needle tool
- Flexible non-stick work-surface (Teflex or Plastic notebook dividers)
- Cutter / Scraper (optional)
- Graduated Slat Sets (I can offer these at a substantial discount)
- Rubber clay shaper
- Clay Cleanup tool
- Sponge, clean and new
- Steel Wire brush
- Fine Taklon paint brushes.
- - Bright #4
- - Round #0
- Disposable make-up applicators (Eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipgloss)
- Dry dusting brush
- Escapement or small needle files
- Manicure sanding blocks or sanding sticks, Foam-backed sanding pads, or other sanding and refining tools.
- Gentle domes for forming clay to a shallow domed shape
Enameling Tools and Supplies
- Pam East Universal Firing Spatula
- Hard kiln shelves with kiln wash already applied
- DISTILLED Water
- Heat resistant gloves
- Disposable Plastic cups
- PreNamel™ Metal Prep
- ClearnNamel™ Wetting Agent
- Clear Ammonia
- Klyr-fire with sprayer
- Clean scrap paper (old phone books work great!)
- 3/4 oz condiment cups – 1 dozen per student.
- 200 grit Diamond Hand Sanding Pad
- Fiberglass scratch brush
- Green scouring pad
- Thompson Enamels
- - 2220 Chartreuse
- - 2140 Russet Brown
- - 2190 Chestnut Brown
- Round #1, #0/5
- Pam East Adjustable Trivet size Medium
- Enamel inlay tool spatula
- Enamel inlay tool pick or scribe
- Enamel Sifting Screen – Solid Pan (Qty 2)
- Enamel Sifting Screens – 150 and 325 Mesh
- Enamel Sifter – Medium
- Micro-Mesh Sanding Pads – 1 set
- Tropical Shine Pink 400/600 Grit nail file
- Tropical Shine Blue 220/320 Grit nail file
- Fine tip permanent marker (Sharpie)
- Disposable rubber, latex or vinyl gloves
- N100, N95 or P95 dust mask. Mask should have a full seal around nose and mouth.
- Polish Cloth
- Magnifying Visor
- Small plastic pipette or eye dropper
- Assembling your finished pendant
- Working with leaded enamels
- Preparing and programming your kiln for enameling
Included with the video download, a PDF filled with photos, notes and all the resources you need to get started.
The full recording and a PDF handout of resources and links is included.
You can re-watch all your CRAFTCAST purchases as many times as you like.